Sunday 18 May 2008

Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow

Work continues to creep in this petty pace from day to day. There's been jobs in retail or in a call centre where I've jokingly said it would be alright if it wasn't for the customers -- but it's less of a joke now. My job itself is fine, although mind-numbingly boring. But the people are what makes the job harder to bare. For the last four weeks or so, we've had a new temp in the office -- of course, there were all the usual lies before she started. That she'd be helping us out with this or with that, when really she hasn't been at all -- and my boss has actively stopped her from doing more.

In and of herself I find her incredibly annoying. She's one of those people who just does not stop talking, and her favourite subject of conversation is herself. One of those people who will ask you how your weekend was, just so they can talk about theirs. You might say she's had a lot to talk about, in the relatively short period of time she's been working with us she has had numerous dramas with her car -- from her sister taking her keys and "borrowing" her car when drunk one night, the fan-belt snapping on her way into work one morning, and the car then being written off a few days later when someone crashed into it while it was parked. But I do not need to hear about it fifty times a day. Nor do I want to hear about her debt problems. Every single day she is going on about how she might get herself declared bankrupt, or might do this or might do that, and oh the citizens advice bureau say this and I just want to tell her to shut up. Maybe work just makes me cranky.

She reminds me a little of Ross, whom I worked with in the call centre -- someone who when reading the paper quietly to themselves just can't help but constantly make comments out loud, all the time, about everything.

On a personal level, there has been no mention of what is happening with my job or contract or whatever. I asked my agency if they knew when it was to end, they said they hadn't heard anything but if my boss had his way she thought he would want me to stay forever. This is less than helpful. I have started applying for other jobs, but I do intend to keep an open mind about these things. My position right now is that any extension of the temporary contract is not acceptable. Should they make me a permanent offer, then I would take it into consideration.

I was discussing this with Dune just yesterday, who was laregely of the opinion that if I seriously consider taking a permanent position I will most likely never leave -- and that if I truly want to live and work in London, I just have to leave now. Not so long ago Dune was also advising me that I should stay in this job for at least a year, preferably two, since I have concerns about it looking like I can't hold a job. This concern is the only reason I would want to stay in a shit job. But it can be confusing sometimes which advice to take on board.

While it might not seem like it, I'm not afraid of change. I'm not afraid of making bold decisions to upset my comfort area. After all, I was working full time as a "bar manager" -- but I quit to go work in London without pay. I'm also independent enough to say "screw it" and go on holiday on my own, when nobody's plans fit in with my own. Sometimes I also need to weigh up my options.

The immediate plan of action is I now I have started I will continue to apply for jobs in London -- and if something comes along before my work have made any sort of decision, it's their loss. If, however, my work decide there's no budget to keep me and I don't have anything else... then maybe I will just move to London and couch-surf and work in a pub until I find something regular.
And perhaps that would be a better option to begin with.

No comments:

Post a Comment