Saturday 24 June 2006

Darkside Lightside

I think I'm a bad judge of character. I have been musing over various people in my life -- friends, lovers, those who've shown me love, or come close -- and realised, not for the first time, that so many people occupy a strange grey area. I'm not saying I'm friends with all the wrong people, but that a lot of people I know I am really not sure if they are good or evil.

I can't go into many specific names -- damn you, blogger, for being so easily found in search engines -- but there are individuals that I can't quite work out. I have a friend who has apparently claimed his older brother sexually abused him, as a child. This is disturbing, because it means one of the two of them is seriously disturbed. Either someone is lying about it -- which is sick -- or it really happened, and we're sitting and talking quite happily with a pervert. Unfortunately, general opinion leans towards someone being a liar.

Then there's people like Deb, whom I have never really got a handle on. I don't think she led me on, but she certainly knew at the time I liked her... Sometimes when I talk to her, just her and me, I get this weird vibe like she wants me to kiss her -- but I tried that at New Year and she didn't go for it at all. I'll upload here about the *one* night with her... I mentioned to Jon -- and luckily, I know he's not evil -- and he said he thinks she's a bit of a tease, since she's apparently carrying on in some context with our friend Dave.

I've mentioned it before, and one late night -- when I'd sneaked out of the house while my parents were asleep to go play pool with Deb -- I asked her "So are you shagging Dave, or what?" and she was insulted at the suggestion, said they were just friends. But they have been spending time in his bedroom together with the light out when they think nobody is home. Which leads me to Dave: friend or foe. He knows perfectly well I was in love with Deb, or something like it, and one night we walked home in the rain and I poured my soul out to him, in my verbal-diahrhea drunken way, about all of my feelings for her. And then it seemed like he moved right on in there.

So that's two people sort of in one, Dave and Deb. Is she evil and manipulative and a tease and just likes to dangle the idea of her in front of me and watch me jump for it? Or is she just confused, not sure what she wants, lonely and in need of friends -- and possibly sleeping with Dave, but that's between her and her boyfriend. and Dave. And what about Dave -- is it any concern of his if a girl he likes is also liked by a friend of his? I think Dave has a very dark side he keeps hidden, but who am I to criticise? I have fantasised about burning his house down, just because "I saw her first". Obviously, I should point out for anyone wondering, I never actually would do that -- in a year or two I won't even remember what it was all about. But all the same, the idea floats to the surface of my consciousness.

Then there's people like Jade, whom I meet and seem perfectly nice and friendly and then she drops me like I'm something slightly less welcome than nose-picking.

And the list goes on and on, people I'm close to whom sometimes I think are good, and sometimes I think are evil and manipulative, and never being really sure. And thinking I'll just go live in a cave somewhere on my own instead. Because I know I'm no better, I wonder about myself as well -- am I a good person, do I mean well and try not to do anybody any harm? Do I try and live according to karmic laws and noble truths and sevenfold paths, or do I just hurt people and manipulate people into getting my own way?

A few weeks back, I was with San and she was lazily tracing the lines on my hand. She was shocked by it, she practically sat up and paid attention when she turned to me and said "You have a really bad temper" no kidding, I said. But she said she'd never seen it. "And you have a jealousy line than runs almost the entire length of your palm", remember wanting to burn down Dave's house? Thinking about Macbeth in work, and if I would get promoted if I murdered colleagues... I keep these things hidden.

I was considering this week changing my user pic -- that the whole Star Wars jedi/dark side metaphor for working in the media was wearing a little thin. The joke wasn't so funny, and I was using lightly something that was quite serious, the nature of being evil. But then I'm reminded of what dwells within me, and I feel it's maybe not so far from the truth -- sometimes I really feel the picture represents me.

At the end of the day, who do you know how to trust if you're not even sure about yourself?

8 comments:

  1. I vote change it! But that's only because I hate the prequals with a burning passion. Seriously. I have to cover up you icon whenever it shows up on screen.

    In terms of evil, tho, everyone's evil. everyone. trust no one. (And killing co-workers? I fantasize far too often about the bridge being blown up or attacked just so I won't have to fucking go there anymore.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie: I like the prequels, at least parts two and three I did. I think people forget the original movies were hardly landmarks of incredible acting or moving stories. And Return of the Jedi sucked. I'm going to keep the picture just to bug you now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If there's one thing I've learned from my own experiences (and from watching too many movies on the Lifetime for Women channel), it's that you just never really know anybody, and I'm starting to think that includes your own damned self. I think I can pretty well match your list example for example. My own DE (that's "Deb Equivalent") now hates me, but she was just as you describe Deb.

    Living in a cave doesn't help much, either, because that's essentially what I do now, assuming that living in isolation in a crappy apartment in Dallas is a proper substitute for a cave.

    But I would refrain from burning down anyone's house. Especially now that it's in writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you're not sure about yourself, then I don't think it really is possible to know who you can trust. There's this saying I see a lot in books that says you see in others what you see in yourself. (Example: An honorable man will see others as being honorable, but a cheater will think everyone is cheating.) That's probably too much of a generalization to be true for everyone all the time, but to some extent it must be. So I guess if you doubt yourself, you will doubt others as well, and will just have to try to make the best of what you see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saru-San: It would be soooo easy to burn his house down though, his brother is a policeman and one of his half-brothers apparently deals drugs -- who would ever suspect it was over a girl? But of course, I wouldn't do
    it really -- these things just don't matter, in a year or two I won't
    even remember what I saw in Deb.

    Why does your DE hate you? I can't imagine hating you, unless I was
    like a super-villain or something, or incredibly stupid.

    Diane: What you say makes a lot of sense, unsually for you ;)
    But really, it does bear some thought -- thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not *always* sure about myself but I do just implicitly know if someone is good people or not. If I think 'ooh, there's something fishy about this person', you can pretty much bet there is. The scary thing is that I don't always let my knowledge of this actually help me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. M: I'd love the opportunity to introduce you to various people I know, just so you could tell me if there's something fishy about them. And Britney doesn't count, I already know you want to sabotage our wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. har! I have learnt my lesson - never tell anyone what you *really* think of their friends etc. oh no.

    Though, Brit really is a bit of a skank, don't take it too hard love. There are people here to help you through it.

    ReplyDelete