Friday 23 June 2006

STOP PRESS!

In a dramatic break with tradition I just got a text from Philippa -- replying to a message sent to her much earlier in the week. I sent her a message calling her a slacker and asking her if she would like to go to a comedy club with me this weekend. As is normal, I heard nothing back -- and sulked a bit, because I had asked a direct question.

Now I am sat at my desk thinking about starting some work and my phone beeps. Expecting it to be one of my friends, I almost ignored it -- but instead I check the message and it is the much sought-after Philippa herself, responding "comedy sounds good, let me know the details" -- also saying tomorrow night is best for her. Luckily for me, since I have invited almost everyone I know round to my house this evening.

The bad news is, the flyer I had for free tickets to a nearby comedy club is only valid for Fridays. The good news is lastminute.com has some reasonably priced tickets for Covent Garden... I'm letting her know her options and trying to wipe the smile off my face.

Update:-
It seems she only wanted to go when she thought it was free, says she is broke and might not be able to afford to move. I explained the free ticket offer is only for Fridays, or offered to pay for her tomorrow -- in exchange for dinner at some later date. She refused. Says she "only just remembered" that she is meant to be meeting her sister's friend tomorrow, oh what a disorganised ditz she is...

That has certainly wiped the smile off my face. Next time, don't be so fucking eager.

Update 2:-
I have one week left of my contract at the agency, and now it seems this time it might not be extended. In a week's time I might be rejoining the dole queue.

Update 3:-
My friends are no longer coming over tonight, it seems the pub was a more attractive option for them, so they're going there instead.

7 comments:

  1. Aww. I'm staying home tonight and watching TV in a rather pathetic way. Stupid girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a pain in the ass to me.

    not that i know anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should come live in New York. Or maybe I need to go to England. One or the other. We both need the company.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie: You make me laugh. Yes.
    Db: Seems like it's not just the girls who are stupid, but the boys too, if you're staying in alone on a Friday night.
    Anne: A new face! Welcome! I hope to see more of you around here -- and contrary to what you think, you obviously know a lot, because it really is a big pain in the ass. Thanks for commenting, always appreciated.
    Diane: Don't move to England, it sucks. I probably would move to New York, if I could, if only because Baz Luhrman says to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you're not any closer to me. We could complain about girls together. Oh, and I say Philippa's a lost cause.

    ReplyDelete
  6. N: You're probably right about Philippa -- it seems too much effort for her, but I'm reluctant to give up on her because then I'm back to the start, with nothing... Not that I have much else right now.

    ReplyDelete