Monday 26 June 2006

Work related stuff

After I found out on Friday there was some doubt about extending my contract, I scheduled a meeting with HR for today to talk to them about my options, ambitions and desires. And also to establish quite where I stand.

As far as I understand it, the way things stand at the moment are that my contract is extended and I am staying exactly where I am until July 7 (so a whole week longer). However, after that someone new is coming in -- which means I have to move. Incidentally, it will be the third time I have moved computers since being at the agency, so that's about once a month. I get settled in one place, and then it's "I'm sorry, son, but we need to put someone else here so you have to move".

I understand how it is though, I'm just an intern and I have to make room for the work experience already scheduled to come in. If they fall through, and don't come in the end then that's great, in that case I can stay put (hopefully), but the summer will be a busy time with students and they will struggle for space as it is.

It's quite unfortunate that I know what I am doing, am familiar with the clients and where the accounts are going and have been trying to establish a relationship with the media -- because if I go, the new person will have to start over completely.

I have told HR I would like to get experience in corporate and healthcare, too -- if only to broaden my horizons, and make sure that consumer PR is what I want to do. Given a straight choice, though, I'd just as soon as stay put where I am, working on the accounts I already am, and build on my career from there. But I guess it's not that simple -- there's just not a job to give me, even if it seems like there would be.

My main motivation right now is to stay at the agency -- leaving would make me technically unemployed, and the chances of finding another placement right away are very slim this time of year. However, I'm broke having been out of work for the past three months and at the encouragement of HR here and the need to start earning, I am applying for other positions. I have applied to two 'rival' agencies tonight alone.

It has been made very clear to me how valued I am on the respective accounts, and I am in no doubt how wanted, welcome and well-liked I am. Unfortunately, those things aren't enough to give me a job, and after July 7 it is unclear where I will be working.

Edit: It occurs to me now the significance of the date, July 7. Maybe I need to get things in perspective a little.

8 comments:

  1. Feeling insecure in your workplace is very unsettling indeed. I hope you get a permanent position soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph: Thanks hon, cross your fingers something will come up for me....somewhere

    M: Thanks -- I need them both, luck and a hug x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jay,

    Thanks for swinging by - re Serial Killer Sunday, I have a brother who shares his name with one. I used to love reading True Crimes and Bizarre magazine, before it became FHM-esque.

    Hope you find work after your contract is up, shame they have no room to make you permanent.

    Had a quick read of your blog and enjoyed it - so hope you don't mind me putting you on my updated links...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is the significance of July 7?

    ReplyDelete
  5. China Blue -- I'm honoured to be put on any list of yours, I'm glad you have enjoyed what you've read. Always nice to meet new and interesting people! Coincidental we both work in London in the media... Or maybe not so surprising, given we're both bloggers and both read WDKY?

    Diane -- July 7 (7/7) was last year's terror attacks on London, I don't expect the date to mean anything to anyone outside the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Problems expand to fill the space they have. Since you aren't contending with terrorist bombings right now, its fair to say you have every right to be worried about your future. Try not to compare your problems to somebody elses - yours are equally important and equally difficult.
    Fingers crossed that something comes through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Esmeralda; You do talk some sense. I think there's something to be said for having perspective -- if I complained to the guy begging outside Tesco at lunchtime about my life, I doubt he'd be too sympathetic. But I guess if we spent all our time feeling bad for not having it as bad as someone else, nothing would ever get done. Thanks for the crossed fingers, cross your toes too, if you can.

    ReplyDelete