Thursday 23 March 2006

Follow the bar room blood

I updated my previous entry on going to Birmingham, but figured I'm still not satisfied and it gets a whole new post. Yesterday morning's post brought me a large, plain brown envelope.

I opened it, unsure of what it could be, and I saw the headed paper of the company. In my haste to get the letter out of the envelope I saw there was a second page, containing some kind of a list.
A list! A list of outlets with job openings! Jobs I could then apply for and get the hell out of here! I was excited.
I read the letter, and frowned with confusion at: "I write to advise that regrettably you have been unsuccessful on this occasion..."
Then what the hell was the second page, I thought?
I didn't bother to read the rest of the letter, instead I went straight to the second page. What I had mistakenly presumed to be a list out vacancies was instead feedback.

It more or less confirmed what I had expected on the day. I scored well on the interview, was criticised in the group assessment for not contributing as much as I could have, and for letting others take control of the group. This annoys me now almost as much as it did on the day. I was pissed off at one guy in particular who dominated the exercise and I was unable to get a word in. I had since hoped he might be considered unfavourably for this -- and who knows, maybe he got feedback telling him to rein in his ego. And I socred poorly on numeracy and the profit & loss accounts, despite my revision.

If we look at the score board, this gives me a total of four rejections for working as an assistant or trainee manager in licensed retail, two of the four coming from the same company. I think I can take the hint now.

Don't let it be said I'm not pro-active though, I have already arranged a job interview for next week to work in media sales. Whether I will like the work if I even get it is a whole other matter, but I can't say I'm particularly thrilled with the badly-paid and unsociable job I have right now either.

3 comments:

  1. :( that sucks Jay.
    I'm glad you're being proactive though.

    You know I loathe those kinds of socially dominant people too. I think they know that if they shut up for a second everyone will realise how idiotic they are, (err..we have a few of these at work).

    ReplyDelete
  2. God, the entire idea of the job market scares me. I think I'm still working on the concept that you can't just apply for financial aid for life.

    That and the fact that I have absolutely zero marketable skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm only ever going to have the guts to ask this online to someone I can't see face-to-face...

    What is it like to break up with someone? What leads to the breakup, how does it feel afterward? I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete