Sunday 19 March 2006

Swindled (part 2)

Updated: 22/03/10

Nothing more came out of the incident on Tuesday night, but on Thursday morning I was reminded that when it comes to being cheated a lone con artist is nothing at all compared to the companies that rip us off on a daily basis.

On Thursday morning I had to make my way to Birmingham for an assessment day for a company's graduate scheme. From here, Birmingham is a drive of about 3 hours, or you can take the train. I had originally considered driving, just because I can, but because I had to be there for midday and had to work the night before, I figured I would have to either drive late on Wednesday night, or very early Thursday morning. Instead I figured I'd let the train take the strain.

The journey was fairly simple -- one train into London, then another train out of London to Birmingham -- arriving early and giving me plenty of time.

I've been telling friends to guess how much my ticket cost me. "£40?" they might say, figuring that's quite a lot of money to spend on a train ticket. "60 quid, maybe?"

To the first, I tell them "Close, but try multiplying it by three."
In fact, a return ticket to Birmingham cost me £134.

A return flight from London to Barcelona would cost me no more than £50.
For another £50 on what I paid for my train ticket, I could fly to New York.
I could save £50 on my train ticket and get a six-week course of personal training at my gym.
Or for the same money I could buy a brand new pair of boots for my snowboard.

These are all items I would have dismissed as things I can't afford -- things I probably have the money for, but shouldn't spend. But on Thursday morning with the morning's commuters and dressed up in smart black suit I had no other option but to hand over my card.

The assessment day itself was unremarkable. A group exercise, numeracy tests, an individual interview and discussion about my business plan. It could go either way. I might have let myself down in the group exercise, or my numeracy skills might have failed me in the tests. The interview itself I was very happy with. And at the end of the day in a different city with a different set of commuters and snow blowing in the air, there was nothing else to do but get on the train and come back home.

People keep saying to me I should have booked my ticket in advance. Yeah, I say, I realise that now -- but I had no idea the ticket price could possibly be that much, and I didn't know what time I would be returning. I just had better get a job out of this now.

Update: I got my rejection letter today. That didn't take them long.

6 comments:

  1. It only costs you 184 pounds to fly to New York?! A round trip to California costs me 750 pounds!

    But who wants to go to New York? I think you should go in the other direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'd have had to book it more than 2 months in advance to save money. What cost you so much was travelling at peak time. Even booking 2 months in advance may not have helped. Peak is just fucking expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very sick of people telling me "you should have done *blank*" Since other people know so much they're lives should be in perfect order, but they aren't, so they can fuck right off. But I've been rather bitter lately, so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 50 quid to barcelona? Are you serious?! That would cost me around about 2000 dollars, give or take a couple of hundred bucks depending on season/tax!! oh lord... *jealous*.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would just like to echo m's sentiment. Damn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So yeah. That annoying flash movie thing you sent me.... it's kind of annoying. :-p

    I will say this: It loops really well.

    ReplyDelete