Wednesday 22 March 2006

Yes, I know it's really annoying

Annoying

I was sent the above link today, and all I can think of when I hear it is how much money it would make if you were to remix it and release it commerically. How would that be for annoying, hearing it everywhere you go... You could live off the royalties after that.

Among all my grumbling about being ripped off on the price of a train ticket I completely forgot to mention something. Or things. I arrived at Birmingham New Street station and it gave me such a strange feeling of deja vu as throughout my first year at university, I had to change trains there every weekend when I visited Fi. To be completely accurate, first I got lost my leaving the station and having no idea where I was meant to be going. So I walked round the block, and found an entrance into the shopping centre -- remembering there was some kind of way to go from one to the other without going outside.

I had planned my journey so I had plenty of time at the station before I needed to be finding where the assessment centre was, so I was in no particular hurry. I found my way back into the station, into the main concourse, and was on my way to find something to eat when a girl said to me: "Travel the world for free?"
"Thanks, I don't mind if I do" I said, and took the leaflet she was holding out to me.

It turns out she was working for Expedia (the travel site), and promoting their competition to find a "blue sky explorer"; someone to travel the world taking pictures and keeping a travel diary, in search of the perfect blue sky. The entry form was tricky, asking you to describe the most inspiring place you've visited -- in 20 words, and about 2 short lines. Or to explain where you feel you have found the perfect blue sky. I was so tempted to write for the second question: "I haven't found it yet, that's why you should pay me to go look for it".

I thought it would be cute, but not likely to impress them. Instead, I described the how on the island of Phuket after a sudden rain shower, the sky opens up before you. I've never been to Thailand, as it happens, but I liked how it sounded. And for the record, my inspiring place was the Moab desert where I once sat and meditated on a rock, and felt a glimpse behind the curtain.

I don't know if anything will come of it, but I felt it could almost have been a sign -- I was meant to be in that station, at that time, in order to pick up a leaflet for this once-in-a-lifetime experience that would be so exactly what I want to do with my life. And nothing to do with the job I went there for. More likely, it is just one of those things -- I expect every single person you stop in the street would love the chance to travel, take pictures and write about it. Some of them might be better photographers, or better writers. But I still think I would be the person for the job.

Short of that, someone help me remix that annoying song...

6 comments:

  1. that would be the perfect job. well.

    maybe. Maybe instead of being fun travel, it'd become work and not fun and you'd hate it and long for a boring desk job. or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing to do with the entry, but to do with your song list. A few months ago, one of my friends was really into a certain girl. They apparently made some steps toward dating each other, and then went home for break. When we got back to school, I asked how he was doing with her. His only response was, in all seriousness, quoting "she has a girlfriend now."

    It was both sad and funny in a sort of schadenfreude way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dude, you and I have the same dream..

    ReplyDelete
  4. In regards to Diane's comment, that's my husband's second greatest fear- me leaving him for a girl. right after his fear of me leaving him for Jay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should have directed the Expedia folk toward your blog, because it seems to me that this proves you've got half the qualifications right here! A lot of people might say they want to travel the world and write about it, but how many of them realize how much work it takes to write something every single day? And to write so well?

    Damn. If I worked for Expedia, you'd have it sewn up. Unless, of course, I'd have taken the job myself.

    Because, hell yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jamie: I think I'd be willing to take that risk -- even if after a year or 6
    months or less than that even I did long for a desk job, at least I
    could say I tried.

    Diane: Unfortunately, I can identify with that only too well.
    And I'm glad you can find songs to comment on when there's nothing in the entry.

    Eva: NO WAI!!
    Do we have the same dream involving Britney Spears and chocolate ice
    cream sauce?

    Saru-San: I did consider directing them to my blog -- but I wanted to write
    about it, and didn't want them to know I was writing about it. And I
    wanted to write about how I lied about Thailand -- or not exactly
    lied, as such, they didn't ask on the entry form if I'd ever actually
    been there. I directed them to my deviantArt space though. You're
    very generous though -- probably entirely right, too, but generous
    just the same. As it goes, I'm a big fan of your work, and how well
    travelled you are -- even if it seems to be a case of your company
    moving you any time you are happy where you are.

    ReplyDelete