Wednesday 29 October 2003

If it stops raining

One of my friends back home sent me a message yesterday, asking how things were going "in the multi-cultural wonderland of Leicester".

I only got around to replying a short while ago, about 24 hours later. Luckily -- for me, and certainly for him -- I'm not banging on today about hating my life right now. I looked out the window of the classroom at the rain and sent him a reply reading simply "Life is very entertaining, and I might just have some fun if it stops raining". He said that it sounds like Wales.

This week I was ready to quit. I figured if I quit before I paid my tuition fees, or before I had paid them all, I might not have to pay at all -- and then I could just say that it wasn't for me, that a job in the media isn't all it's cracked up to be. I would keep my flat here and just get some random job, I thought, maybe earning enough to to go snowboarding or something fun in my spare time. There'd be none of the pressures and I wouldn't be broke.

But for now, at least, here I stay. I don't think I was right about the tuition fees, and since I've paid I might as well stay here now. If I can pass the course then a job in the media would surely be no worse than random temporary work.

I'm still broke, and hungry. And because I have no money I don't go out, and because I don't go out I don't ever go out I don't make any friends. So I'm broke, hungry and lonely. At least this time last year I had money and my friends around me -- even if I did hate my menial job by the time I quit.

However, if I can just keep it together it will work out. I can't say everything will be wonderful when I graduate -- again -- but it has to be better than the alternative. And maybe then if I still feel that my life needs meaning I can do something about that, too. That's the idea, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment