Friday 19 December 2003

Dead letters

There is an explanation as to what is going on with the junk email. At first, things seemed to be getting even more strange. I would read an email on WAP, and as mentioned before it would contain what looked like an extract from an essay. However, I found that when I looked at these emails on a computer they had mysteriously changed to the junk email their subjects suggested they would be.

Apparently it's like this -- some of these emails can only be read in html, and rather than show up a blank page or an error message, they have these 'essays' embedded in the email. Who knows how many emails a day we are getting with this stuff hidden in them -- you can only see it by viewing the source, and laboriously searching through that -- or by viewing them in something that doesn't support html.

Of course, now I am going to be searching all of my junk mail for hidden messages. Who knows what is being sent -- among my dozens of junk emails every day there could be any number of secret messages.

What this all reminds me of is Clive Barker's The Great and Secret Show where the protagonist spends his days working in the dead letter room of a sorting office, opening endless reams of undeliverable mail and soon discovers, through a series of cryptic dead letters, an alternate reality.

What? It could happen.

(and, yes, I've taken off comments for the time being. Maybe for good, I don't know -- but if you really want to comment, you can email me)

No comments:

Post a Comment