Wednesday 17 December 2003

Ever read your junk mail?

Every once in a while, junk email slips through the yahoo bulk mail filter and ends up in my inbox. Normally, I just tell them it's spam without opening it, and it's gone. Sometimes I open it, for the sake of it. I always check my mail in my bulk mail folder in case something I want has ended up in it. Sometimes I open mail in that, usually if I want to delete something but I am reading on WAP and don't have the link to just empty the folder.

Do you ever open your junk mail? Because something very strange is going on in mine,

There will be an email like "Jay! Rates fall for the third week running!" or "Slash your debt by 70%!", and nine times out of ten the email matches the subject. But every once in a while, it doesn't. I appear to be getting emailed what I can only describe as extracts of essays. In an email the other day with a subject about interest rates was part of an essay about the poet Alderman. Today in an email with a subject telling me I can slash my debt, I have an essay about what the deforestation of the Amazon is doing to indigenous tribes.

They aren't whole essays. They aren't public appeals for something to be done. They aren't mailings from charities. They can only be described as extracts. Someone is seriously trying to fuck with my head.

I was reading my Zen guide the other night, rather than working. It's difficult to get your head around -- but it could be the answer to why I get strange things like this going on, because none of it is actually real.

-- and own up -- who has been reading through the archives? I'm not complaining, I just like to know who is reading what...

No comments:

Post a Comment