Monday 29 December 2003

I've upped my standards: now up yours

So Christmas came and went largely without incident. Christmas Eve night was spent in a pub with only a couple of friends watching a band play covers. I think my group of friends are more fragmented than they were this time last year, because some won't talk to Nick any more which isn't really any of my business but it means that any more nobody is ever all out at the same time. Last week if we hadn't met at the pub where I used to work I doubt so many of my friends would have turned out.

It was a good night though -- the band weren't entirely bad, and I spent mostly the entire night talking to Jon. We were even home before 12, which isn't exactly usual most nights.

I can't say that the novelty of being back home for Christmas has worn off, but I am desperately trying to think of something to do with my life that means I don't have to go back to my course. After the earthquake in Iran recently I remembered how for years I have been wanting to do relief work, been wanting to do something real with my life. Back in September when I was doing work experience I was saying as much -- I wanted to feel like I was making a difference.

The trouble is, you can't just do it. My idea of what relief work is seems to be largely voluntary work, when I start looking at jobs in the area all the seem to be is, well, jobs. Office, administration, accounts -- I'm not qualified, and I'm not interested. I want to be hands-on helping people. But it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Anyhow. I refuse to jump on the "Christmas sucks" bandwagon, as I have enjoyed it this year and actually do enjoy it most years. I'm sorry for anyone who hasn't had a good time, but I'm not going to pretend I hate the holiday season.

-- Update: I have updated the comics section of the links page. Hardly earth-shattering news, but I am sure none of you actually ever look at that page unless I mention it.

No comments:

Post a Comment