Wednesday 2 May 2007

The blog interview

Here's an odd sort of meme, where instead of telling everyone if you think thunderstorms are "scary or cool", there's five questions -- chosen personally. In this case, I proposed Madame Boffin should "interview me". Questions, and answers, as below.

1. If there was one moment or decision you could "do-over", what would it be and why?
Unfortunately, there are many. I am going to narrow it down to two.
I was 20, and living in Utah. For -- I think -- President's Day (or some random holiday) we had gone to Vegas for a long weekend. On the trip I hit it off with a cute girl called Karina, I think she was from Costa Rica. We joked we were going to get married in Vegas, and who knows if we hadn't got separated, maybe we would have done. That's not what I regret. I think the day after we came back, we had our first class together and Karina made what seems now as a very deliberate decision to take the desk next to me. It was all so very high school, but I suggested to her that we should exchange numbers -- so we could study together. I remember she smiled, like she didn't buy it at all, and then she wrote her name and number on the back of my writing pad. Then she gave me her pad, and asked me to do the same. And you know what? I never called her. Not once. Not even to say hi. I have various reasons why I didn't -- I was too shy, that I knew she either had a boyfriend or had very recently come out of a relationship, and also that I sort of perhaps was in the same position. I don't recall us ever really talking again, and she probably was offended that I didn't call. If I could, I'd do it over and actually call her -- it didn't necessarily have to lead to anything.
My other choice was less than a year later. A student in Derby, I remember one weekend my parents coming to visit me and how they told me my grandmother was very ill -- so ill I might need to return home at short notice. I think it was perhaps a week later, or even less, that I spoke to my parents and it was discussed if I should come back. We weighed it up, and I decided to stay. We thought, or I did, there would be more time. There were essays to write, books to read. My grandmother died that same night while I was just out drinking in Derby. I never got to say goodbye to her.

2. If a habitable planet was discovered, would you ever consider being one of the first colonists?
I don't think I have much in the way of useful skills -- like farming or building or whatever, so I'm not sure a PR nerd would be in high demand.
Ignoring that, I am a bit of a thrill-seeker, so I like to think I would be at the front of the queue. Plus I would love to be somewhere new and unspoiled -- and hopefully be able to keep it that way.

3. Where/what is your 'perfect place' and why?
I'm not entirely sure I understand the question. A place I consider perfect? I've never known one.

4. If money wasn't an issue, what would you do with your life and why?
Some more tenacious readers will remember this from before, the elusive job as a "blue sky explorer". It was a competition run by expedia, where you would "win" essentially a job, the chance to travel the world, taking pictures, keeping a journal, all in search of the perfect blue sky. Like yourself, I presume we are keeping it reasonably grounded – rather than spaceman. But that is my what I would do, if money wasn't an issue I could devote myself entirely to just travelling, taking pictures, writing, and digging stuff.

5. Everyone has something that they're good at – what's yours?
I was going to say "self deprecation" at first, but I don't think I'm very good at that.
I'm good at lots of things; recalling random quotes from pop culture (and often passing them off as my own wisdom), saying things out loud that are better kept to myself, procrastinating...
But I guess the main thing I am good at is being artistic, in my own little way. Even if I'm not a painter, or a sculptor.

And, if you want to join in, leave me a comment saying, "interview me." I'll respond by asking you five personal questions (I will leave these questions for you in my comments). I doubt many of us can resist the desire to talk about ourselves -- more so than usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment