Saturday 19 May 2007

A journey with hats

I wanted this to be a longer post than it is, displaying my love of various hats. Unfortunately, my love of hats doesn't seem to extend much further than three. I'm sure I have got a floppy festival hat somewhere, but I can't find it. Just the same, we begin our journey...

This hat I bought one summer, many years ago, for the Western-themed fancy dress birthday party, of one of San's flatmates. That party will forever be ingrained on my memory, memories of so many cowgirls... But anyway, the point is I like the hat a lot. The last time I wore it to a Western themed party I believe one of my friends referred to me as "the only Gay cowboy in the village", and yeah I guess the picture hardly exudes machismo. So it's just as well I am donating it to my 2-year-old nephew...

Although a winter hat, this has become kind of all-purpose headwear for me as my love of hats (or desire to wear one more) has grown. Most of you are already familiar with the picture featuring this hat, taken at last summer's Reading festival -- proof that I wear it winter and summer, indoors and out. It was bought just one winter when I needed something new to keep my loaf warm, it's now my favourite.

This is a strong contender for the title of "favourite hat" -- bought one day from a market seller in Chinatown, I'm a big fan of camouflage print and I particularly like the 'wings' on the front of it. It also goes much larger than the blue hat, meaning it can shade me better in the summer and won't get as hot. It goes well with my look when I'm wearing my big black boots and black g-star pro pants. I'll see about getting a picture maybe of that whole image, I can be very vain.

Finally, no hat at all -- but instead shaved like a monkey ready to be shot into space. For all you people who told me to just shave my noggin and be done with it -- especially Steph. I like that I look mean in this picture, it neatly offsets quite how camp I look in the first. And no, I won't smile in pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment