Saturday 19 May 2007

Job post-mortem

Now I am feeling slightly more stable, I should provide some more information on what exactly happened with my job. I realise the little info I gave previously makes the company seem completely unreasonable, and that they had been just leading me -– and others –- on, with no intention of following through with any of it.

The fact of the matter is, the person who was sort of my direct superior -– the Account Executive –- handed in her notice a short while ago. I wondered at the time what this might mean, but didn't think too much of it. What did happen was in the process of recruiting for that position, the powers that be decided it would make most sense to combine the roles -– that is fold my role into that one. Whether it was for financial reasons or whatever, I don't know.

They found someone to do that job, and so dissolved my own. I've heard of this happening to people in the past, of them being made redundant because your job doesn't exist any more. I consider myself fortunate that I haven't been made redundant a short time into my job. I was taken on to do a freelance contract for 5 weeks, and that is exactly what I've done. It sucks (a lot) that I didn't get a permanent job out of it, and it's particularly unfortunate that I was interviewed and stuff, but I'm never gonna stop the rain by complaining.

In many ways, it was a blessing in disguise -- following a conversation I had with HR about the interview it seems clear to me that I wasn't going to get the job. If they hadn't abandoned hiring anyone for the position, the job would have gone to someone "better suited" to the accounts and to the team. As I thought, I was confident in the interview and answered their questions well -- but apparently not in such a way to convince them I was the best person for the job.

Focusing on the positives; this job got me out of the shitty call centre in Essex, this job was better paid than the call centre (when I do eventually get paid at the end of this month), this job is closer to what I want to do with my life (or for a career), this job has given me valuable -- and paid -- experience. I've met nice people, and made some good contacts.

To my mind, the company and everyone involved behaved completely correctly. It is unfortunate for me that my job didn't go permanent, but I was hired for a 5-week contract while they were recruiting and that's what I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment