Friday 25 May 2007

Roots rock rebel

Thursday, May 24
Suicide Bid @ The Underworld, Camden
support from Baby Boom, King Blues and the Deathskulls

I had to pause for a second there, writing the date -- I remember last night I was line to collect my tickets and two girls behind me were commenting on a poster in one of the windows. Or rather, they were commenting on the date. The show advertised was for tonight, but one girl kept insisting it was still April. Her friend asked me to help them settle the argument, I assured her it was definitely May.

Gentle reader, you may remember we left off with your humble narrator frustrated that he had bought a third ticket because he had inadvertently ended up with two people both wanting to go. To make matters worse, yesterday morning Laura sent me a message to say she had now decided not to go after all, because she was hoping to go to Brighton for the weekend. I mentioned it to our mutual friend Pete (bass player for Suicide Bid) and he said to be honest, he didn't expect her to go. I wished someone could have warned me of that to begin with, but I should know by now what Laura is like -- and she didn't ever say for certain she wanted the ticket.

So it's the morning of the concert, and now I have another bloody spare ticket again. There's no sense in looking for a date for the evening, since I already have company, but I put up ads advertising the ticket for sale. Obviously, I got no responses. But fortuna was smiling upon me, when Ten sent me a message to ask if I had any more tickets, because her girlfriend wanted to come along as well. Loose ends tied up -- I now didn't have to wonder if Ten would get along with Laura, and the ticket was taken care of. I also plan to get reimbursed for the tickets.

Ten had asked me what time I wanted to meet in Camden, and had advised "+ half hour!". She hadn't needed to remind me of that, I remember all too well what her sister is like with being on time for things, and can remember several times where the three of us were going somewhere Ten would have to catch us up later. As it happened, her timekeeping last night was impressive. I told her to meet me at 7.30 (meaning 8), and it wasn't much later than 7.45 when her and Julia arrived at the pub. Clearly stoned, they mentioned they were going to get cheeseburgers -- I said I'd just stay and finish my drink and read the paper.
This part confuses me -- because they managed to meet me on time, but then disappeared for about half an hour. Eventually, I sent Ten a message asking how long it takes to get a cheeseburger, but they came back before I got a reply and all was well.

We found a table and just sat and drank and chatted through the first band or so, and it was good company. Ten found some white sticker labels in her bag from a Eurovision party she had a few weeks back, with a different country written on each one. We each chose to wear a country, I think I got Finland. By the time the King Blues were playing I felt more like watching the bands. King Blues were fantastic -- definitely a band I shall have to watch out for -- but naturally everyone was waiting for Suicide Bid.

It was no disappointment, ferociously kicking off the set with The Assembly -- the first track from their debut mini-album -- from there I knew it would be a good show. When Morning Comes will always mean a lot to me, for its significance -- and I was excited to see Laila K from Sonic Boom Six doing her guest vocals on songs like Wind Ya Batty and -- my favourite -- Like A Lion, but am ashamed to say many of the other singers I didn't know. I could recognise their voices from the album, but haven't ever listened to many of their bands. Something I intend to correct when I get the chance, especially King Blues and the Inner Terrestrials.

I encouraged Ten and Julia to shout "We love you Pete!" at the stage, but of course we weren't close enough for him to hear. All too soon, the show was over and it was time to drag bedraggled selves home. I caught my train home with minutes to spare, and was too tired and happy to even mind the stranger next to me who kept falling asleep on my shoulder.

I'll post (bad, blurry) pictures later and maybe a song, until then just go to their MySpace page. Because I say so.

No comments:

Post a Comment