Sunday 13 January 2008

Eight for '08

Since all the popular kids are doing it, and because I have so little else to write about right now -- the Eight Things About Me:

Eight things I am passionate about

* Music. I think I would go insane without music -- finding new artists, "discovering" for myself old artists, making compilation CDs, live music, recorded music. But only good music ;)

* Reading. It appals me that so many people don't read a book from one year to the next, and many more have never read a book. But not just books -- I love reading blogs, letters, emails, newspapers, news websites....

* Poetry. This is separate to reading because for me it involves hearing it too -- when I'm alone, I like to read poetry out loud to myself, it can alter how you perceive the poem. Poetry is almost like music to me, and I treat certain poets like rock stars. I haven't written poetry in some time now, but I value it as a form of self expression.

* Art. Both my own photography, and the work of others. I don't much distinguish between modern art and classical art -- I rate Banksy and Damien Hirst as artists as highly as Van Gogh. Art that challenges, art that provokes a reaction, art that inspires thought -- as well as art that just makes me happy. I like to wander the quiet halls of art galleries, stopping at pictures and just making a quiet decision if I like it, and what I feel.

*Travel. Something I don't do nearly enough of -- but there's so many places I want to see.

* People. While I often asset that people suck and I'm both shy and somewhat reclusive, I am also conversely passionate about people. I am passionate about friends, people whose lives intersect with mine in whatever contexts -- I am sometimes even passionate about wanting to help people, in small ways.

* I guess following on from "people" is animals. Not passionate like those people who have rooms full of cats and various animals running loose in the house, but I am passionate about my cat in particular and other animals in general.

* Space, in a very odd way. I am ignorant of a lot of the science about it, but I love looking at the moon and the stars, and enjoy reading about it on Astronomy Picture of the Day, even if I don't always understand it all. I was fascinated to read in the news yesterday about the cloud of hydrogen gas that is set to collide with the Milky Way, which would set off a new burst of star formation in our galaxy.


Eight things I want to do before I die

* Travel (more of) the world.
* BASE Jumping.
* Live abroad in a non-English speaking country (no, the USA doesn't count).
* Paint.
* Sell my art.
* Learn to surf properly.
* Trek the Inca Trail
* Celebrate Christmas in the Southern Hemisphere

Eight things I say often

* What's up?
* You suck.
* de nada (and other random phrases in Spanish)
* Aww, man (like Swiper in Dora the Explorer)
* "You like that, do you boy?" (said in a Cockney voice) or "This is an outrage!" (both of which are Mighty Boosh references)
* Shitbag.
* Yoink!
* Do you remember....

Eight books I’ve read recently

* Saturday, by Ian McEwan (reminded me a lot of Enduring Love, but not as good)
* Northern Lights, by Philip Pullman (I wanted to re-familiarise myself with the story before watching The Golden Compass)
* Into the Wild, by Jon Krakauer
* What Should I Do with My Life?, by Po Bronson
* Kafka On The Shore, by Haruki Murakami
* What's It All About? Philosophy and the Meaning of Life, by Julian Baggini
* Conversations with God, by Neale Donald Walsh
* You Are Being Lied To: The Disinformation Guide to Media Distortion, Historical Whitewashes and Cultural Myths (various authors)

Eight songs I could listen to over and over (and frequently do)

* Hotel Yorba, by the White Stripes
* You Had Time, by Ani DiFranco
* I'm Not OK, I Promise by My Chemical Romance
* Like A Lion, by Suicide Bid
* Girl Anachronism, by Dresden Dolls
* Isabella County, 1992, by Great Lakes Myth Society
* A New England, by Billy Bragg
* Mono, by Courtney Love

But if I was making a triple cd (8×3) I’d also include

* Tangled Up in Blue, by Bob Dylan
* Superman's Dead, by Our Lady Peace
* I'm Shipping Up To Boston, by Dropkick Murphys
* Gold Lion, by Yeah Yeah Yeahs
* Tea Dance, by Terrorvision
* Pull Shapes, by The Pipettes
* Cherub Rock, by Smashing Pumpkins
* Nailed to the Body of Lincoln, by The Original Brothers and Sisters of Love
* Fake Tales of San Francisco, by Arctic Monkeys
* This Is Your Life, by the Dust Brothers
* DUI, by Har Mar Superstar
* She Runs Away, by Duncan Sheik
* Take Her Out, by The Pigeon Detectives
* Portions for Foxes, by Rilo Kiley
* Mailbu, by Hole
* Big Empty, by Stone Temple Pilots


Eight movies I have seen eight times

* Pulp Fiction
* The Big Lebowski
* Jaws
* The Crow
* Lost Highway
* el Mariarchi
* Shaun of the Dead
* Fight Club

I was supposed to tag eight people -- but I don't think quite that many people read or lurk here these days, so instead I'll leave it open for anyone who hasn't already joined in.

10 comments:

  1. Ha! You're such a sucker for peer pressure. I like these things, you learn things you didn't know about people. Like, I didn't know you were passionate about space... I used to be obsessed with night- wanted to go for drives in the car at night, Dad driving with me in the back, so I could look at the stars and moon, protected a little bit from the shine of the headlights from the front seats. Because clearly it's all about me.

    I know numbers aren't your strong point, but you only have 7 songs in the first section :)

    You should come spend Christmas in Australia. I'd take you to the beach, where you would no doubt get sun burnt like all good Poms.

    BASE jumping makes me feel sick just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you know for sure you've watched a movie eight times?? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I reckon You Are Being Lied To would be an interesting read... how "out there" are the contributors?

    Mono by Courtney Love? Really? Hmm... ok, will have to revisit that song and see what you find so irresistable... (I'm a bigger fan of her "Julian" song)

    I should also like to do the Inca Trail before I die and you've reminded me that having a genuine, northern White Christmas should also be on my list.

    Great song and movie choices!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda: You're right, about everything -- I am a sucker for peer pressure, I did only have 7 songs, and I probably would get sunburned as I am so sensitive to the sun it's technically an allergy. Anyway, next Christmas you plan to be in Scandinavia, looking for the snow :p

    Steph: These movies I have seen so many times, I know it's more than 8 -- I don't think it has to be exactly eight times, you know.

    Dune: The contributors are all pretty solid, there's nobody crazy -- but obviously the articles are all very one-sided. On the other hand, it's a great book to just dip into and read parts of, since it's a collection.

    It was tough choosing Mono over But Julian... -- but I love the lyrics "they say that rock is dead, and they're probably right" and "are you the one with the spark to bring my punk rock back" -- it's a great song (although neither quite as great as the best Hole songs). Glad you liked my choices though -- I think they can say a lot about a person.

    As for the Inca Trail, don't we plan to do that one together?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right indeed :) It's gonna be good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Huzzah for GLMS and TOBASOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's this Christmas. There's always next Christmas, or the Christmas after that, or... etc. We could hide you from the sun under a tent or something. Alternatively, if we're in Albany, it's regularly overcast there, although you can get burnt when it's cloudy too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jamie: I love me some GLMS and TOBASOL, although the former much more than the latter.

    Amanda: You're assuming, of course, that I'd celebrate it in Australia at all ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pffft... where else would you spend it. New Zealand?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha. Or how about South Africa?

    ReplyDelete