Monday 28 January 2008

Laisse Tomber Les Filles

I know I haven't blogged in ages, even if you count the unhappy post I sent down the memory hole last week it's still been at least a week. Annoyingly, I did actually write an update when I was at work today -- I don't have internet access, so I wrote it in notepad and then emailed it to my Gmail account. This evening tho, it's not there, so maybe I got my email address wrong or maybe it's lost in the ether somewhere.

Either way, the post was about how I got in trouble with the police yesterday when I was out delivering meals. I didn't see a "no entry" sign, and drove into a one-way street. If my post ever turns up, I'll put the full story up here. But despite one of my police sergeant friend's reassurances that if I was going to get into any formal trouble, they would have taken my details or given me a form at the time, I won't relax about it for a while yet. Not least because I was driving my magistrate father's car at the time... Where the hell was my good karma? I'm trying to do some work for charity, and I get in trouble with the law? What the hell? Alternatively, if nothing comes of it that will be my good karma.

In other news...there isn't much else to say. I have a date at the end of the week with someone who answered a personal ad of mine late last year, and in a break with tradition wasn't put off when she saw my picture. She doesn't yet know that I still live at home, though. Anyway, we've been emailing for a while until it's got to a point where I think she had to ask if we were just going to be email buddies or actually meet sometime. Those weren't her exact words. Anyway, it should be fun -- I'm going into it with zero expectations.

To muddy the waters somewhat, I had a conversation with Lyndsay last week that I think was best summed up by her question "Are you asking me if I'm in love with you?". For the record, that wasn't what I was asking -- I was asking if she meant it when she said je t'aime aussi, not how she meant it. As ever, nothing further will happen there, because I seriously doubt we will be in a position to meet each other. Maybe I have missed out on chances before in almost similar situations because I let my concept of distance get in the way. Then again, maybe I didn't. But this time, I think it will be better for us both if I continue to write about her about once every six months, and we both date other people and whatever else. I make it into a far bigger thing than it really is.

To keep the fragmented nature of this post going, I am going to mention a great book I am reading called Toujours Tingo -- a great book to dip into when you have spare moments. I have learned many great phrases, it seems the Japanese have a beautiful poetry to their language; for example the phrase kuchi ga samishii means to eat when you don't need to, for the sake of it, or out of boredom -- but literally it means "my mouth is lonely". Other cultures have words that make you wonder -- do these things happen so often a word is needed? Like, with the Cheyenne word Momá’kó’éné, which means "to have red eyes from crying because one's boyfriend is getting married to someone else". To continue on such a theme, I love the Italian word "Gattara" for a woman, often old and lonely, who devotes herself to stray cats.

In closing this evening, it's been forever since I did a Musical Monday post -- and though today won't really count, I have to share this song. Some of you fine readers might already be familiar with the April March song Chick Habit -- but you might not be aware that she records in French as well as in English, and the song is a translation of a much older song Laisse Tomber Les Filles (click the title to play the song).

See? This post had a theme after all! Girls, and other languages! Am I incredibly sad that I like to play this song back-to-back, like four or five times in a row before I get bored?

5 comments:

  1. I think it's funny that you maybe got your email address wrong. Twit.

    You won't get in trouble for the driving the wrong way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda's right (as always). Nothing will come out of driving the wrong way - as I heard it told, it was a genuine mistake on your part and there was going to be a major consequence, the officer would have told you on the scene. You'll be fine.

    I hope this weekend's date is a roaring success!!

    I liked the foreign phrases and words. Those were perfect examples of why I love different languages: the words they have demonstrate how different cultures conceptualise the world. I find it endlessly fascinating. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who could be lonely with cats??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda: It turns out I didn't get it wrong, it just hadn't yet left my outbox when I signed out for the day. Forgot that happens with non-web based email.

    Dune: I hope you and Amanda are right, I'm still worried about it. And I'm glad you like the foreign phrases, I agree completely -- and will have to post more.

    Jamie: I'm sure you could be lonely with stray cats, if you can't take them home...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe, this song was just on the radio. I was sitting here bopping along, all happy like, and couldn't work out where I'd heard it before... turns out it was here. I'd probably listen to it on repeat too, but the radio doesn't work like that. Happy songs.

    ReplyDelete