Sunday 20 January 2008

I can hear them whisper and it makes me think there must be something wrong with me

I'm sitting here trying to think of something to write. You know that feeling when you want to write, want to update, but can think of nothing to say?

I have sort of unofficially dismissed my therapist. I turned up for our first session after Christmas and New Year the other week, and he wasn't home. He hadn't called me or anything, nor left any message to say what was happening -- his son just answered the door, and told me nicely that he was out for the evening, and he'd get him to call me. He never did call me. I thought, maybe he's lost my phone number -- which is almost as bad -- so I didn't turn up the next week. Technically not having seen him the week before, I could say we didn't have an appointment, but I thought he would call me to find out what was going on. He still didn't call. So I figure, screw it. Like so many times before, I'll go it alone for a while. I still do feel like I need therapy (I'm sure he would agree) and there's issues I still need to work on, but I'll go back to the old fashioned method of work hard, go to the gym, try to get out more... I'm not sure about the deeper issues.

My two and a half days in work last week passed entirely without drama. I smile a little to myself about it, because I think they were so desperate for someone to come in and do the job, and for someone to actually stay, that they might just need me more than I need them right now. I get the distinct feeling that they don't want to overwhelm me with everything right away, but I am quietly whispering to myself that I am confident, happy and capable -- and it sort of works. I don't think my job is ever going to involve anything too mentally taxing, and I don't think that it is ever going to reach the despairing levels of working in a call centre. Seriously, I should have been like Amy Winehouse with that shit and said no, no, no -- this would have been a much better job back then, if I was insistent on something office based, or else the bookshop was a much happier place.

Speaking of the bookshop, I gave Kelly as a reference to my recruiter last week -- it was a bit cheeky of the recruiter, as she was meant to have got references from me before she sent me for a job. Anyway, Kelly gave a glowing reference for me -- she apparently told them what a lovely young man I am, who is happy, reliable and how I was an assest to the bookshop over Christmas. Bless her, I can hardly recognise myself from that.

She's right though, most of the time I was pretty happy in that job -- and I'm glad her lasting impression of me is as a happy person. I don't think anyone realised what that job meant for me, it wasn't just minimum wage selling books, it showed me I was employable and likeable. Another staff member told me one day how she remembered when I came in for my interview, because when I left Kelly and Bev were both saying how much they liked me and wanted me to work for them. It's a shame it couldn't last, but it does look like things might be heading in the right direction with work in general.

In terms of all of that sort of thing, it's odd. I'm perhaps not as excited as I should be about the whole thing -- my celebratory bottle of champagne I got as a leaving gift after my PR contract last April still remains unopened. I've said I'm saving it to celebrate getting a proper job, and I thought that the medical college job I interviewed for before would have counted. I was actually quietly concerned if I was up to the task for that job, and I guess we'll never have to find out now.

A couple of weeks back I saw a bunch of my family, and of course had to field the question "what are you doing now?" all day. When I was asked by one aunt what I wanted to do, and struggled a bit with the question, she said almost pityingly "You're still looking for 'something interesting'". In the book What Should I Do With My Life? the author talks to various people from different walks of life who were looking for some sort of meaning in their lives -- and rejecting the assumption that it is trivial or even ungrateful to want to feel some sort of passion about their work.

It seems a more common idea that we shouldn't. My Dad always tells me that you're not supposed to enjoy work, otherwise they wouldn't pay you to turn up. Likewise, in one of her songs Ani DiFranco says "Maybe you don't like your job, maybe you didn't get enough sleep? Nobody likes their job, nobody gets enough sleep." And my favourite quote of all from Drew Carey: "Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar." We seem bombarded with messages that work is something you have to put up with, we do it to have the money to afford to do things we do enjoy. It seems a shame that there isn't more of an emphasis on enjoying what we do.

Don't get me wrong, I don't even dislike my job, and I really hope things stay that way. But I also can't help but wonder if I sold out, if training as a journalist and working without pay for newspapers and in PR was all just a waste of my time. In many ways, I'd like to think not -- they've given me various transferable skills for work and for life, but part of me does still feels a little let down. If I was to meet the 18 year old me, how would I explain that working in the media never happened? Sorry kid, it was just a bit too competitive, and you were just a tiny bit too shy, or maybe a bit too unsure of yourself. But I hope in a not too distant future I will feel I can tell him it all worked out for the best -- but just look at how things worked out!

8 comments:

  1. Congrats on the job, Jay. I'm very proud of you and happy for you. And also - I'm proud of your attitude. Screw the people who don't have passion, honestly. They're boring and you're not like them. You're different - you need to invest yourself in a job, and good for you . You'd think I'd be more jaded given my recent attempt at following a ridiculous ideal, and it's not that I want to see you disappointed or anything - no, I want someone somewhere to live, really live their ideals and make it succeed. I'm rooting for you, Jay. Best of luck - with this job and always. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me smile, even if that wasn't your intention.

    I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to do a job you enjoy, but I do think there's a lot more people out there who don't enjoy their job than do. Personally, I don't know if I ever see myself working full time in a job I love, I very much see myself as a "working to live" rather than "living to work" kind of person. I really don't understand workaholics at all.

    On that note, I think it's pretty normal to spend most of your life looking for "something interesting". And lets be honest- you're still rather young, in the grand scheme of things. Perhaps settling into this job for a few months (incidentally, I'll be there in under 6 months, actually) will give you time to think about things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dismiss the notion that it is somehow proper, or normal, to hate your job. I've had jobs that I hated, which I did because I needed the money, but it's no way to live. The job I do now is something I enjoy, as much for the people I work with as well as for the work itself.

    I think a lot to do with it is the generation gap... for at least the last 2 generations of workers - our parents and grandparents - never had the luxury of picking and choosing their work. Our grandparents were in the Depression or it's aftermath and our parents seemed to have picked a lot up from them... there's this "grit your teeth and bear it" attitude that's pervasive through that whole generation (my grandparents often say they feel more in touch with my generation than their own kids' generation.... the baby boomers are universally loathed, by both sides of the generation gap).

    Our generation was schooled and culturally educatede to believe that anything was possible - nothing held us back except ourselves. Years of this conditioning they gave us, yet they have the nerve to wonder why so many of us find it hard to settle down in a job or why we have no qualms about picking up and leaving from a job if there's a better one around the corner. They see it as ungrateful? I see it as being uncompromising to one's self: I'm not going to follow my parents and slave away at a job I loathe, living a life I hate just because it's "the done thing". On the other hand, I don't want to be so airy fairy as to bounce around from job to job, looking for some ephermal "perfect" job... there are practical realities to face. In the end, it's all about balance: living a life you like, doing a job you don't hate that allows you to pursue the things you want in your off time.

    Our parents' generation just don't seem to get that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to follow what dune says - this generation is not going to put up with something they don't want to do. There's doing things for me philosophy that permeates everything. My parents would have been pressured do the same job for their whole lives, whether they want to or not. Gen Y will not have jobs that go for 35 years with a gold watch at the end. It's a more disposable generation. I don't really identify with either. I guess I must fit into gen x more.

    At the same time there is a big part of me that thinks that while we should enjoy our working experiences I reject that whole notion of living to work. I don't always want to define myself by my work. I don't want my life to be about what happens during 9-5. Maybe work should allow you the funds to live the life you really WANT to live. Whether that be holidays or a house, or a dog or a new camera or whatever it is that really makes you feel alive

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't let the patronising "You're still looking for 'something interesting'"crap get to you. I've been asked that so many times and my answer is 'Yes and I'll keep looking'. My Dad thinks this I'm daft for having this stance too.

    I've worked a number of jobs, none of which I've been even remotely passionate about, nothing I could see myself ever doing for the rest of my life and nothing that I would want to continue to do even if it provided the means to live comfortably.
    What I have been doing though is building up my experiences (and CV, w00t!) with a wide ranging set of roles and tasks, which admittedly on their own look a bit disparate and disappointing.
    But if you look for, or if you can't see one, weave(read:bullshit) a common thread that runs through each job you've had. This gives an underlying theme to what you've been doing and makes you seem really well-rounded, especially to your next potential employer.

    Sorry I'm rambling, but the point of my bullshit is that you should tell the naysayers to go eff themselves and eventually, all the jobs that may have been chore-like and painstaking suddenly form a solid skill set, that'll lead you into something you enjoy and actually WANT to do.

    PS: I'm not too good at articulating things, so feel free to ignore the gibberish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think something's only worth doing if you enjoy it. but some stuff are just not there to be enjoyed, it paves the way so you could enjoy more things in the future.

    or so at least we were lead to believe.

    good luck buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you come across as a very warm person. I can say that with certainty, because I've met you in real life.
    On not liking your job - unfortunatly there is an abundance of shitty jobs out there and someone has to do them. Is it possible to have a job you love? Yes. Is it likely you're going to get one? No. Worse still, theres usually a lot of shit involved in getting a job you love anyway. The only way I can justify getting up and going everyday is that I do it for the other things in life I love - being able to enjoy time with Wayne with the freedom to do as we please, our house, and knowing that in 6 months time we'll be able to afford the baby. Occasionally, you even get a job you dislike that is willing to somehow make life easier, like incentives and being flexible with your hours. I am so bored of my job, its unreal, but they give me a little mini bonus for coming back and I guess thats better than nothing at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aurore: So far, so good with the job -- but it isn't the sort of thing I was talking about. It's just for now either a stop-gap, or a way to pay the bills so I can do what I enjoy in other ways.

    Amanda: I think you're right, maybe all I do need is time to think about things. Maybe I need this stability and security in my life for a while...

    Dune: I think you're right -- we're seen as ungrateful if we want something more than just "any" job. But what's important is the balance you describe, we can't spend our lives chasing some fluffy dream -- but nor should we hate what we do.

    M: It seems to me we already are defined by our work, when we spend such a huge portion of our lives there. I feel like I'm wasting my life if I wish away the hours spent in work -- if only my work could somehow be part of my life, you know?

    Jiminy: You're very wise, so if your Dad thinks you're daft, I must be too. I think what I take away from your ramble is the idea of the skill set, the common thread -- and with that to bargain for what I really want.

    Treespotter: Unfortunately "worth doing" doesn't always factor into these things, as you know -- but paving in the way is how I should see it.

    Charley: You're much too kind.
    What you say makes a lot of sense -- our jobs allow us to do and have the things we love, so I guess it really does even out in the end.

    ReplyDelete