Wednesday 30 January 2008

On doctors

You know what I hate about going to the doctor's? Lots of things, actually.

The first is that you're usually sick when you go. Unless you're feeling hale and hearty and are just asking to have your passport application signed or something like that, it stands to reason you're probably going to be ill. But conversely, what I really hate about going to the doctor is the way that my symptoms seem to have an annoying habit of going into hiding when I actually get in there.

Lately, I have been coughing something ferocious. A couple of weeks back when I saw my brother and his family, my sister in law was complaining of an ear infection. I seem to have almost no resistance to Portsmouth germs, as when they're sick I usually follow a few days later. And sure enough, I noticed a familiar pain, right on time. I ignored it, like I do most things, and after a while it became a sort of sore throat too, along with the customary blocked nose.

Still, nothing I can't pretend isn't really there. I'm quite skilled at that, pretending. Then came the cough. Which has led to coughing fits in the middle of the night where you wonder if they are going to end before your oesophagus splits, and that taste in your mouth almost as bad as caffeine-free diet coke.

Grudgingly, I accepted that if left alone a chest infection was more likely to develop into something nasty as it was to magically clear up all its own. So I booked an appointment.

I might complain about the NHS, but I am wholly against the idea that the wealthy should get a better standard of health care. I am also glad that I can call in the middle of the day and get an appointment to see a doctor after work the following night -- and have a choice of appointment times. I am also glad that I don't have to pay to see a doctor.

Naturally, I have been finding it hard to sleep and continued coughing all day -- except today I was slightly glad that I wouldn't feel like I was wasting the doctor's time. Walking down the corridor to the doctor's office, I fought the urge to cough (I worried it would seem like I was doing it for attention, or laying it on a bit thick "oh, I'm so ill>"). Once in the office, the need to cough has gone. I explain my symptoms, the doctor listens to my back in various places, listens to my chest, asks me to cough while listening to my chest, and eventually concludes that she might be able to hear something, so I could have a chest infection.

Where the relentless, choking, racking, coughing fits are when you need them, I don't know -- but they certainly weren't in that office, and she probably just thought I was a hypochondriac and gave me a prescription just to get me out of the door.

I expect the doctors earn commission on prescriptions.

9 comments:

  1. It's not just you. I think it's one of those universal truths, like the one day you're slightly late for the bus, is the day the bus will be early, even if it's always late.

    Hope you get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had the same thing... your sympoms magically go to Happy-Happy Land while you're with the doctor.

    I wish I didn't have to pay to see a doctor - under our Medicare system it used to be that way but, thanks to Howard's efforts, most doctors don't bulk bill anymore, meaning we have to pay for the visit, which can be anywhere betweeen $10-60, depending on the doctor (and you can bet the $10 doctors can't take on any extra patients). Of course, Medicare will refund you some of the price - but that's after the fact. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Murphy's law sucks when it comes to doctors. I hate feeling like a faker, especially if a half hour before I was puking uncontrollably. or something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to know that someone else has the same neuroses when they go to the doctor. I always try to keep my coughing/vomiting/etc to a minimum as I'm worried the doc will think I'm trying to amp up the symptoms so I can get some pethidine or something.
    Hope the cough clears up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure my doctor thinks I'm the biggest hypochondriac ever........she could be right though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. With all the fucking taxes we pay in this country, who gives a shit what the dr thinks of you? Get the most out of your money, because in actuality, if you are working in this country, you're paying for a lot of things, half of which you probably never even see the benefit of.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, dear... I hope you feel better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amanda: I'm glad it's not just me!

    DunePrincess: I'm glad you share my pain of the magically disappearing symptoms! Your medical billing system sounds very complicated...

    Jamie: You sit there and you tell the doctor you have been puking uncontrollably, but you know they are thinking "You've been in the waiting room for 30 minutes, and now you're in here, and I don't see any pea soup yet..."

    Jiminy: If it's not the complete absence of symptoms, it's trying not to seem like you are putting it on to try and score. We walk a tightrope.

    Steph: You might be onto something there...

    Charley: An angry point, well made! You do have a good point, they are public servants -- we shouldn't care what they think of us.

    Aurore: Thanks, I am now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I knew I found a good doctor when I went in one day with a very bad cold and she just said - look, just stay in bed and drink lots of water! What do you want from me? She rarely prescribes drugs unless I'm dying. I love her, she takes none of my hypochondriac shit but humors me about my internet self diagnosis anyway. I'm a little scared of her. <3<3

    ReplyDelete