Monday 14 January 2008

Howling at the moon

Another work post. If you're bored of these, why not try visiting Treespotter instead -- his posts are much more interesting to read, I think.

Anyway, it's been a week since the interview. I called the recruiter on Friday and the verdict was "no word yet", but that he thought they had only interviewed the last person the day before. He said he'd try chasing them, but if I didn't hear back on Friday then he would let me know Monday. Monday rolls around, it's past noon so I call him. Get his voicemail, being all upbeat and peppy I leave a message saying hey, I'm checking what the word is from our friends at the RCoA, and I look forward to hearing from him, hopefully with good news. I then headed out in the car.

I noticed when I arrived at the shops that I had voicemail -- he must have called back when I was driving and I'd had the music up too loud. The message just said again, no word, but that they had liked me so he'd continue chasing. I wandered round the shops a while, found nothing, drove home -- still no further updates -- and went to the gym. An epic session, plus sauna and steam later, I return to my locker and find I had messages. This time the message says he is calling me with "feedback". Not "You got the job" but "I have feedback". I'm not being a pessimist, if it was good news he would have mentioned it. I called back, he was in a meeting, I left a message.

Last Friday the book shop called me, and offered me a permanent job. Far from the full time job I wanted, they offered me 19.5 hours a week, over Friday, Saturday and Sunday. 20 hours a week is ridiculous, I'd definitely need a second job for that -- and then I probably wouldn't get any time off at all, since I'd already be working the weekends. I told them thanks, but no ta -- I need more. They sounded disappointed, but what the fuck? 30 hours Monday to Friday would have been fine, I could have got something extra in the evenings -- but less than 20 was no good at all.

Because I still clearly have too much endorphins from the gym, I sent my favourite recruiter an update email to say "Hi! Hope you're well!! I want a new job!!", sent a local recruiter a message to ask if she was free tomorrow for a meeting -- since she's said she could probably find me temp work while she looks for something permanent -- and a very similar upbeat update email to my old PR contact, just without asking him for work.

From here? Who knows.

In other news, I got home this evening and there was nobody home. My Dad's car was on the drive (and he never walks anywhere) but he was nowhere to be seen. I figured he'd come home when he got hungry, and set about feeding the cat. My Dad then emerged from the garden, and asked me if I wanted to look at the moon with his telescope. No, I told him, I just got in from the gym and I'm tired.

Then I thought twice. Actually, yes, I did want to look at the moon. It's less than half-full tonight, but through the telescope you could clearly see all the various craters and seas on the surface of the moon.

Have I ever mentioned that originally, years ago, I made enquiries with the air force about joining as a pilot because I figured that would be the only way I could ever get to be an astronaut? Seems my dreams have got a bit smaller, now I'm applying to do admin.

6 comments:

  1. I told you endorphins are good. They make you all positive and jumpy. Or that could just be me.

    Boo to the bookshop, not even 20hrs a week isn't enough :( But you'll get something. I'm positive, see? Just stay positive.

    Jay is in love with the sight of the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :( That's such a shame. It would have been such a good job... I think I'm more depressed for you than you are for yourself! But it's important to keep a positive attitude :) I actually mentioned your situation to my Mum and she said, why not just out-and-out lie on your resume? Not about your skills but about what you've been doing for the last year (since you're worried that all the temp work is working against you). Just say you travelled to America (since you've been there and can talk intelligently about it... just pretend your trip there happened last year rather than when it did). That and/or spin the temping - you're the self-starter; the guy who wanted to take some personal responsibility and work for himself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anton's trying the lying bit on his resumes,but about his location. Places in the city are just too far away, and he's been told it's a prime reason he's being rejected, so he's using a friend's address that's in the heart of the metro area. If that doesn't work, ...I don't even want to think about it. hurrah for living in the only state that's suffering a recession!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep at it Jay, I think your persistence will pay off.
    What sort of work are you looking for and whereabouts?
    It's pretty unrealistic of the bookshop to expect someone to work a twenty hour week Fri-Sun... They can't actually believe it's possible to exist on that sort of work? Good job on giving them the thumbs down, I bet it pays off and something awesome will pop up and you'll be saying 'Glad I didn't take that bookshop offer!'
    Keep going to the gym too, it'll keep your spirits up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i want a job with a bookshop!!!

    really. yes, really.

    i need to get in touch with your recruiter.

    and thanks for the link :D
    i'm not more interesting, just more messed up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda: I am, and that's why I have pale green stars in my room -- right above the bed.

    Dune: I think spinning the experience is probably the better option -- because it has been some really good experience (big name brands, influential agencies), it's just finding the right way to talk about it. I do like your Mum's idea though, and it's one I reserve the right to fall back on.

    Jamie: I lie about locations all the time -- I actually have two versions of my CV, one that says I live in Portsmouth, for jobs in the South. Fingers crossed for Anton, out of interest have you heard of "What Colour is Your Parachute"? I started reading a copy yesterday, and it seems like it could be really helpful.

    Jiminycricket: As far as what work and whereabouts, I was mainly focused on PR roles in central London. Yeah, one of the most competitive industries in one of the most competitive cities in the world. But I was also considering other jobs, if they could utilise my writing skills and people skills. But I have now ended up with a completely different job... I expect you will read the post about it before you read this comment!

    Treespotter: What's stopping you? The probably massive wage cut working in retail would involve? And I happen to think messed up makes for interesting in your case.

    ReplyDelete